Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Memorizing the Word of God

Even when my children were very young, I memorized many Scriptures with them.  Click here to see Daniel at age 2-1/2 reciting the entire Psalms 23 from memory!   When my children were younger we were privileged to have Bible Quiz, where they competed after memorizing many Scriptures and principles.  It was a great way to hide God's Word in their hearts...

“Your word have I laid up in my heart, that I might not sin against You.”
(Psa 119:11 AMP)

As they grew older, I paid them $25 - $30 for each chapter of Scripture they memorized.  I encouraged them to put their favorite verses on index cards, and even bought a laminator so I could laminate the cards for them.

It is imperative that we teach our children at a young age the importance of memorizing the Word of God.   The Bible says:

“Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:” (Amos 8:11 KJVS)

I believe the famine is here or at least well on its way.  In this fast-paced age, very few people take the time to study and meditate and memorize the Word of God.  Let's bring that back!  

Challenge:  Encourage your children to memorize God's Word.  Make it fun!  Reward them for it!  Let them see you memorizing important Scriptures as well!  Keep God's Word a priority in our homes!  And realize ALL the benefits of Psalm 119, which is ALL about the Word of God, knowing it and keeping its precepts!

No comments: