Thursday, November 20, 2008

Things You Can COUNT On!

Some things are constant, you can count on them.  Here are a few things I have worked at making constant in my life and as a result my children can count on them in my life as well:

*I prefer to be shocked at evil, twisted, ultra-violent, explicit language and explicit sexual scenes in movies.  I will not watch an R-rated movie, and I will fast forward or turn off (if fast forwarding isn't possible because it's the whole movie!) anything that shocks me in other movies.  I will walk out of a movie theatre too.  My kids know it and count on it.

*I hold to God's standards for living, and I will not say that things that go against it are okay, such as affairs, having a baby outside marriage, living together, girls hanging around with other guys alone (who are NOT their boyfriend) when they have a boyfriend and vice versa, homosexuality, and immodest dressing.   As horrible as it is to say it, this makes me almost an alien in today's society where people just act like anything goes.  My kids can count on the fact that I don't just go along with anything!

*I believe the best about people.  No matter how bad the situation or the problem, nor how someone acted or reacted, I choose to believe the best and pray through.  My children can count on it.

Many parents try to be "cool" and go along with anything, or even worse do things that their own children know are wrong.  I am convinced that the reason our society is in such darkness morally is because we have either hidden our lights under a bushel, or the light has simply dimmed down and is ready to be extinguished completely in America.  

Challenge:  Hold fast to sound principles and be a good role model and parent.  Let your children see and count on your consistency!  Let them know what things you can never go along with because the Lord doesn't, and what things they can count on from you!

“Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.”    (Rev 2:4-5 KJVS)

No comments: