Sunday, November 23, 2008

Special Treats!

While growing up, our special treats were often great fruit.  My Dad would peel apples and sprinkle a little cinnamon on them and I would love it.  We'd cut open a watermelon, or slice strawberries up, and it was a special treat.

When my children were younger, I began instituting the same "special treats" at our house.  I would make a fruit plate for a special treat.  We get pomegranates and peel them open together (tonight Daniel even surprised Gary and I and peeled us EACH an entire pomegranate! -- THAT is an awesome treat because it takes forever to get the little kernels out of the pomegranate!)

We try to keep the majority of our snacks healthy so that when it is time for someone's birthday or an event where there are not such great choices, it isn't a habit but an exception.

Challenge:  Make fruit and vegetables regular snacks in your home.  Cut up carrots and celery sticks and have them in the refrigerator ready to eat.  Cut up cucumbers.  I learned that if the veggies and fruit are cut up already, they are more inviting!  Encourage healthy snacking!

No comments: