Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Kindness Leads to True Change

When I was disappointed over something one of my kids did or mad about something that happened, I realized a valuable precept of God:

Romans 2.4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?


I realized that if I truly wanted to see my children be sorry and change their attitude or behavior, it was going to be my kindness that would lead them to repent, truly be sorry, and change.

I know that whenever someone yells at me, or gets out of control trying to communicate to me, that my eyes go onto how THEY are out of control rather than looking at what they are saying about my wrong actions. I never wanted to do that with my children. I didn't want them pointing at me blaming me for the way I communicated; rather, I wanted them to look at how their actions were wrong and needed to change.

Challenge: When you want to communicate something to your child or teen that you want them to change, be sure that you don't communicate it in a way that distracts them from hearing what you are saying because they have disrespect or contempt for the way you communicate. Remember that it is your kindness that will lead to true repentance and change.

No comments: